Nurbs Mobius Vs Nurbs OCC

dedelecoder

Looking around for some CAD
First, Thank you for the job you are doing.
What is the difference between Nurbs Mobius and Nurbs Occ? What are their limitations? Many thanks

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
Mobius is an experimental code base whose implementation of B-splines is based on "The NURBS Book" by L. Piegl and W. Tiller. OpenCascade comes with different implementation of basis splines and geometries. Why we started Mobius back in the day was the idea to have full control over the basics. I wanted to stop being dependent on OpenCascade. OpenCascade lacks quite a number of surfacing operations, such as fairing, unstructured point cloud approximation, controlled skinning, even Coons patches are kinda questionable with it. In Mobius, our driving idea is to grow up an alternative open-sourced surfacing engine (without topology, so it's not a real CAD kernel) that would stay compatible with OpenCascade.

As of now, this library is quite rudimental and I wouldn't advice you plugging it in unless you have a good reason to do so. Among operators that work in Mobius, I can name surface interpolation, approximation, fairing, and some basic operations with meshes. So take it as R&D and do not rely on it in somewhat critical scenarios.

We want to keep developing fundamental algorithms, and we need a code base for these experiments. At the lower level (CAGD), it is Mobius. At the higher level (CAD) it's Analysis Situs. And we don't contribute to OpenCascade as such for a plenty of reasons.

dedelecoder

Looking around for some CAD
Thank you very much for the reply. I have the same question about Active data Vs XDE (I have seen in a post that XDE is nightmare :)? I haven't tested yet OCAF and XDE, I am still testing and learning OCC. Many thanks.

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
ActiveData vs XDE arguments would pretty much depend on what kind of software you are up to build. XDE shines for communicating STEP/IGES/etc. formats with metadata, including assembly structures. But I would never use it for pre-/post-processors like Salome, to give you an example. Active Data is basically nothing new -- it's just a set of interfaces on top of bare OCAF. If you decide to use OCAF in your app, you will very likely end up with something like Active Data. The data model of Analysis Situs is based on it, and XDE would simply not work here, because it's limited with data exchange scenarios.

jianbaoxia

CAD master
@dedelecoder
May I ask where I can find the library Nurbs Mobius? Could you please provide a link? I am also studying The NURBS Book in my free time and trying to implement some of the algorithms mentioned in it. Thank you very much.