Create non-circular helix

bioan

CAD practitioner
Hello everybody!
I like to know if is possible to create a non-circular helix using OCC tools or possible other NURBS libraries.
My goal is to create a helix based on a 2D sketch (the blue selected sketch in the attached pictures) as starting point. The helix ramping angle and distance between each helix revolutions will be the variable values. Maybe in the future a tapered helix could be an advanced option, but for now this is not the case. Also the helix pitch is constant.

Any ideas are more than welcome!
Ioan

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2
  • P4.jpg
    P4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
What OpenCascade can do is reapproximate a parametric curve of arbitrary nature with a spline curve. That is done by AdvApprox package. But if you managed to get to this point of running AdvApprox, it means that you already managed to represent your sketch-based helix already, either procedurally or analytically. And that is the hard thing, right? You can theoretically try to convert your sketch to a spline curve and modify it in a way to add some elevation along with the parameter, something like C(t) + z(t). Having this expression implemented in a descendant class for Adaptor3d_Curve, you'll get the parametric curve, which you might want to approximate later on for data exchange.

bioan

CAD practitioner
Thank you for your replay!
I'm not sure how I'm going to start, fore sure I'll have to dig more!