2D quadrilateral mesh from face

calciffer

Active CAD practitioner
Hi, David
What type of quad mesh do you want, a quad dominated mesh or a full quad mesh?
Are you asking for a algorithm to generate a quad mesh?

David

Active CAD practitioner
Hi Calciffer,
I need quad4 elements otherwise the specific FEM is not working. Therefore I need a full quad mesh. My hope was - as it is for simple 2 D geometries - that someone has coded something in opencascade before. If not, then I have to code it myself or - depending on my time - look for another possibilities. I focus on fast FEM calculations and did not expect this troubles finding a 2D quad mesh generation code, but obviously it is not something very frequently needed.

calciffer

Active CAD practitioner
Hi, David
It depends on how simple your geometries are.
If your model is a rectangular plane with no holes, the netgen library is probably what you want.

calciffer

Active CAD practitioner
Or if your model is more complicated, such as plane with interior holes, circular surface, you might use the gmsh library.
Although I have not used the gmsh library, I am sure that if you can control the number of boundary nodes, you can use it to generate a fully quadrilateral mesh

synt

CAD practitioner
NetGen is capable for any complex surface model using Quad Dominated, smoothing also possible by second order element to follow geometry (curve & surface).

However, GMSH quasi-structured quads seems better in mesh results. Also, Hex-Dominant is useful for moderates complexity of 3D parts without partitioning.

David

Active CAD practitioner
The most complex is a round cornered rectangular but with certain wall thickness. The other is rectangular or round. Hence not too complicated.

synt

CAD practitioner
hi David, interesting to try .. can you provide an example of CAD models for me to testing NetGen mesher?

below my example of Quad-Dominated active in mesh options,
2023-08-11 02_41_01-.png

or GMSH algorithm of Quasi-Structured Quads,
2023-03-08 15_15_57-Gmsh - C__Users_user_Documents_quasistructured.geo.png

Last edited: