Rotate face

Dirk S.

CAD practitioner
Hi, my name is Dirk and this is my first post on these forums.

I am looking for a way to create a new face based on an input solid / face and an angle.
The idea is that the new face is the dark blue face rotated "angle" degrees around the highlighted edge in the picture.

1670329103572.png

Which would result in something like this.

1670330111741.png

I don't think there are any tools ready available in OCC to create this so I was hoping on some pointers to get me started.

One idea was maybe approximating a new face with GeomConvert_ApproxSurface but I am not sure how to handle this in the uv domain.

Any ideas to get me on track?

Thanks Dirk.

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Dirk S. and welcome to the forum. There are no such tools in the library, to put it briefly, but this kind of shape morphing can be done using Booleans. We have had a somewhat similar problem when modeling bend reliefs in sheet metal parts. Essentially, the process can be as follows:
  1. You defeature the existing feature from the model, e.g., by capping your first shape with a plane.
  2. You make a variable radius fillet, chamfer (or some other kind of surface filling) on the defeatured shape.
It's all manual, but looks quite doable.

Dirk S.

CAD practitioner
Hi Quaoar, thanks for your suggestion. At the moment I am taking a different approach. I think that I will be able to calculate the new outer edge of the face that needs to be beveled. I can then create a new ruled surface / face between the inner edge and the outer edge.
I then want to replace the face with the new one which will be a challenge on its own but I will probably learn a lot from it.