Offset direction could be given?

jose.gonzalez

Looking around for some CAD
Hi!
I'm quite new in Open Cascade world and I'm trying to use the offset algorithms for a cnc app. BRepOffsetAPI_MakeOffsetShape in mode PerformByJoin. I've seen that the offset direction of single face offset is always the normal direction. So, when the face is planar and vertical the normal direction is horizontal. Now I'm working with tilted faces and i would like to keep the offset direction horizontal. There is a way?

In the attached png you can see how Z coordinate is going down with the offset from 12.00 to 11.993 and 11.988. I would like to have al Zs in 12.00

Regards. Thank you!the

Attachments

• ZgoesDown.png
    ZgoesDown.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 5

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
Is this for constructing a swept volume or something? To the best of my knowledge, OpenCascade provides standard offsets only, so you might need to implement your own surface type, maybe using Geom_OffsetSurface as a reference for implementation. Do you have any examples of such a function in other CAD tools?

jose.gonzalez

Looking around for some CAD
Is this for constructing a swept volume or something? To the best of my knowledge, OpenCascade provides standard offsets only, so you might need to implement your own surface type, maybe using Geom_OffsetSurface as a reference for implementation. Do you have any examples of such a function in other CAD tools?
Yes. I'm working in a CAM for WEDM, the tool that I have to offset is a wire so is mandatory for me in the tilted faces apply the offset in a horizontal direction. I'll try that. Thanks!!