Lesson_4 How to recompiled OCC with VTK 9.1.0

jianbaoxia

CAD master
I have try to recompiled my OCC source code many time, whatever 7.4.0, 7.5.0 and 7.6.0. When I select "use VTK", I give the VTK_install path,there still are error: "Could not find headers of used third-party products: 3RDPARTY_VTK_INCLUDE_DIR".
1646925380585.png
Then I set the remain path by hands. And configure again.
1646925487230.png
Then, get another error.
1646925567647.png
Is this normal?
And when I build it, get the error: it means that can't find the two lib
1646926381403.png
So I am confusing, which step I make in a wrong way.

Thanks!!!

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
What if you step back to the previous release of VTK, e.g. 9.0? Will it give the same misconfiguration? I doubt that OpenCascade devs keep their eye closely on the recent VTK releases, so the newest versions of VTK might remain unsupported for a little while. But that's only my speculation.

jianbaoxia

CAD master
What if you step back to the previous release of VTK, e.g. 9.0? Will it give the same misconfiguration? I doubt that OpenCascade devs keep their eye closely on the recent VTK releases, so the newest versions of VTK might remain unsupported for a little while. But that's only my speculation.
Thank you very much for your suggestion, I will try and give the results.

jianbaoxia

CAD master
The web only have 9.1.0 now, I try 8.2.0, and get the same error. I compile VTK fllow the lesson_2, I'm comfusing. Maybe I do something wrong.

1647140500474.png
1647140604587.png

natalia

Staff member
Hi jianbaoxia,

I've checked it right now. It works for VTK downloaded from https://dev.opencascade.org/resources/download/3rd-party-components.
Just extract downloaded VTK archive into 3rd-parties and the CMake configure is done:

cmake_vtk.png
Yes, this VTK version is not so fresh. But OCCT performs testing of its own functionality with it and we have some guarantee that proposed functionality will work. For newest version of VTK we have no it. There might be other function interfaces in newest VTK as well as another configuration. So here we might need porting to it manually if want using.

Anyway, the proposal is starting from VTK proposed by OCCT and later, if you need, start porting to fresher VTK)

jianbaoxia

CAD master
Hi jianbaoxia,

I've checked it right now. It works for VTK downloaded from https://dev.opencascade.org/resources/download/3rd-party-components.
Just extract downloaded VTK archive into 3rd-parties and the CMake configure is done:

View attachment 205
Yes, this VTK version is not so fresh. But OCCT performs testing of its own functionality with it and we have some guarantee that proposed functionality will work. For newest version of VTK we have no it. There might be other function interfaces in newest VTK as well as another configuration. So here we might need porting to it manually if want using.

Anyway, the proposal is starting from VTK proposed by OCCT and later, if you need, start porting to fresher VTK)
I have try it for a day T=T. And the problem is solved.
Maybe have three reason:
1、the version,I download 9.0.1 in gitlab , it work well.
2、maybe should build in "release" mode, I get it from OCCT Introduction .
3、the version of CMake seem to cause some unexpected problem, I was use version 3.23.x and now 3.19.1