How to get history of shapes

KeplerDD

Looking around for some CAD
HI Everyone, I would like to ask "How to get history of shapes, especially for "TopoDS_Shape"?
In detail, I'm a beginner of OCCT/VTK studies, and I used TopoDS_Shape->IVtkTools_ShapeDataSource->vtkPolyDataMapper->vtkActor this pipeline to render an OCCT source in QVtkOpenglNativeWidget.
I am struggling to implement an "Undo-Redo" function, I don't know is there a method which is able to "record" states of TopoDS_Shape?

For example,
When I try to Undo a boolean operation above, I had to get TopoDS_Shape of shape1 and shape2 and render them in widget once again
auto aShape = TopoDS_Shape(BRepAlgoAPI_Fuse(shape1, shape2)); aRenderer->render(aShape, DEAUFLT_RENDER_TYPE);

I also try to search for "BRepTools_History", but it looks like a tree of relationships of shapes, instead of changes for shapes.
I had confused on this problem for weeks, hope for your kindly help.

Thank you very much,
Best regards,

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @KeplerDD and welcome to the forum!

It seems like you're somehow mixing up several (very different) concepts, namely:

1. Visualization (which is done by VTK in your case).
2. Undo/redo which is application-specific and basically not related to neither modeling nor visualization.
3. History of modification, which is not related to undoing, redoing, or visualization.

OCC published their training materials in PDFs here: https://dev.opencascade.org/resources/trainings
My initial idea was to propose you to follow these documents in a kind of "self-training" mode to grasp the principal architectural concepts of the library. Would that make sense to you?

As per undo/redo, different people implement such tools in different ways. My guess is that the vast majority of C++ developers who are messing around with OpenCascade would prefer implementing the undo/redo stack by themselves, relying on their general programming and architectural skills (as this task is not related to neither geometry nor modeling). If you handle an undo/redo stack in your app, what you need from a B-rep shape is just to store its current and previous states, and this can be done without any history of modification. The history of modification is another concept not related to undo/redo directly. Usually, the history of modification is an integral part of a modeling API function whose purpose is to tell you what happened to the specific shape elements (faces, edges, and vertices) upon completion of a modeling function. E.g., when you extrude a prism from a planar sketch, the history of modification will tell you which face was generated from which edge. To arrange the modeled data in an undo/redo stack, you would not need any a history like that. You would rather store the initial sketch as the first state (T0) and then push back the extruded prism as the second state (T1); both states (stack elements) would store the shapes that know nothing about each other. Once you undo changes, you just rollback to the previous state in the stack. If you continue modeling and drill some holes in the extruded prism (as an example), you do it with a Boolean cut and store its result in the stack's T2 state. There is no need to trace the history of modification per shape again, although the Boolean operation can, indeed tell you which faces were affected by the hole drilling process. The question is whether you really need this information.

As all these undoing and redoing functions are standard in desktop CAD applications, the developers of geometric kernels tried to ease your life and added some services around the math core to give you the undo/redo stack preimplemented. In OpenCascade, it is a part of OCAF transactions. In ACIS, I believe it is RADF (rapid application development framework). In Parasolid, it is something else.

I'm not sure if this message answers any of your questions, but I felt like you needed some intro before you dive into the technical details. Maybe if you elaborate on what you're trying to achieve it would be easier to assist.

Last edited:

KeplerDD

Looking around for some CAD
Hello @KeplerDD and welcome to the forum!

It seems like you're somehow mixing up several (very different) concepts, namely:

1. Visualization (which is done by VTK in your case).
2. Undo/redo which is application-specific and basically not related to neither modeling nor visualization.
3. History of modification, which is not related to undoing, redoing, or visualization.

OCC published their training materials in PDFs here: https://dev.opencascade.org/resources/trainings
Thanks for your useful help! I have understood your suggestions for me, I will read this guide first.(I have read part of it and found it is really useful.)
And I believe I have understood your idea about implement for Undoing/Redoing funtion with stacks, thanks for so detailed and useful answer you provided.
Thank your warmly help once again!