How does Bros start learn with OCCT

jianbaoxia

CAD master
It's nice to exchange questions with everybody here.
As we known, OCCT is powerful, but also huge and complex. I have read document online: OCCT Introduction . And also read code in pythonocc example, now I try to read the code in OCCT sample. However,I'm still confused. I have no ideas on how to find the class I need, I don't know how to build my own CAD with the help of OCCT.
Actually, I have try to learn OCCT two years ago. But there are few information to get started. And I'm so excited to find the video made by Quaoar, so happy to have forum to communicate with you here.
I try to know bros how to learn OCCT, and hope we can make progress together.

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
It's nice to exchange questions with everybody here.
As we known, OCCT is powerful, but also huge and complex. I have read document online: OCCT Introduction . And also read code in pythonocc example, now I try to read the code in OCCT sample. However,I'm still confused. I have no ideas on how to find the class I need, I don't know how to build my own CAD with the help of OCCT.
Actually, I have try to learn OCCT two years ago. But there are few information to get started. And I'm so excited to find the video made by Quaoar, so happy to have forum to communicate with you here.
I try to know bros how to learn OCCT, and hope we can make progress together.
Ideally, you should have a specific problem at hand that you're trying to solve with a CAD kernel. Then you'll have to invest quite a bit of your time and brainpower to mess around with the library and find out what it can and cannot do. It's just a library after all, and it has its own, quite narrow, scope of usage. You will have to build your own value on top of it. And mix it with some other ingredients, where the most important one is your goodwill and intelligence.

Welcome to the forum!

jianbaoxia

CAD master
Ideally, you should have a specific problem at hand that you're trying to solve with a CAD kernel. Then you'll have to invest quite a bit of your time and brainpower to mess around with the library and find out what it can and cannot do. It's just a library after all, and it has its own, quite narrow, scope of usage. You will have to build your own value on top of it. And mix it with some other ingredients, where the most important one is your goodwill and intelligence.

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you very much for your positive reply. Actually I'm try to build a CAM for CNC machining, but i'm new in OCCT and CAD develop,I like to communicate with bros and sisters in the same way. I hope you are not bothered by my frequent and childish questions.

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
CNC/CAM is very relevant to what we are doing in our business life here. Are you generating toolpaths?

jianbaoxia

CAD master
CNC/CAM is very relevant to what we are doing in our business life here. Are you generating toolpaths?
You are right,, toolpath is part of my work, but the control of hardware is also an important work of mine.
Thanks a lot for your help and answers.