Hello and thank you!

Gordan

CAD practitioner
Hello,

I'm a new user of OCC and I found Quaoar's lessons to be very helpful, so big thanks for that! I also found your blog and quite enjoyed reading through it.
Some keywords to describe my interests would be: Simulations based on Finite Element method, CAD, Electrodynamics (and statics), Electric machine design.

At the moment I'm working on a couple of hobby projects that include OCC so I thought I join this forum as it seems to be a beginning of quite a nice little community :).

The current thing I am working on is an Electrostatic solver. At the moment the plan is to build up the "Simulation module" which as input takes in a mesh file and a parameter file, performs simulations and outputs the results (VTK and text files for calculated parameters). For the "Geometry module" I'm using Gmsh at the moment and that works quite well, but I would like to replace it with OCAF. Not sure

Anyhow, thanks for all of your material, much appreciated!
- Gordan

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
Hey @Gordan, welcome to the forum! Thanks for introducing yourself and the area of your interests. I think, your "stack of technologies" is quite familiar and even somewhat standard for quite a number of folks here. Personally, I've never used Gmsh in a production environment but I know it's quite used, even in commercially successful engineering labs. Btw, OCAF won't be an alternative as it's just a data organization framework (sort of a database). Actually, in OpenCascade there's no simulation-quality mesher, and people developing engineering software have to gather all the puzzle pieces from different sources. That's why I think our small and warm community will rock: here we are not focused on one or another product/technology. We just do normal software-oriented engineering and share best and worst practices, so everyone could benefit.

Gordan

CAD practitioner
Yea, good point. Will stick to gmsh for mesh generation, with OCAF for geometry meta-data storage (boundaries, materials, ...) and AIS for marking up the geometry. Was hoping that OCC has a good "enough" mesher for the coarse mesh, but it doesn't look like it.

Gordan

CAD practitioner
Ah yea, I have some experience with netgen, but very limited. I remember I stopped using it at one point couple of years ago when I tried to merge two imported meshes for some experiments and didn't manage it. I haven't really been active in this area for quite some time anyway so I haven't followed the development of ngsolve/netgen. Maybe now this has been added to netgen?

Now, I actually need a mesh with quad/hex elements which I think netgen doesn't support so gmsh is a good for my purpose.

I follow the discussion in the other thread, interesting stuff!