exeServerServer tcl output/response

thevelop

Looking around for some CAD
Hi all,

Trying to run some commands in batch mode I've been looking into the UDP server application that is available. However it seems that the output from the TCL commands are only being outputted to the std_out of the server application but not sent over UDP. Is there any way to also receive the output over UDP after sending a command?

Thanks! And amazing work on Analysis Situs again!

Quaoar

Administrator
Staff member
Hey @thevelop and thanks for your feedback. I was putting this UDP server thingy together a year ago or so and, indeed, I can recall there was something with this std output redirection. To be honest, I haven't sorted it out back in the day, so your contributions are more than welcome :)

Update: just created a ticket for further investigation.

marnixteunissen

CAD practitioner
Hi,
I recently made an implementation of this in python, which uses a subprocess and just decodes the stdout as a string, which can be read and interpreted by my program. Something that might make it easier even is creating your own Tcl functions that print exactly the output you want to know.
One problem that I ran into though is that not all functions seem to work in the server version as they do in the regular executable.
I'm not sure if this should go in a separate thread, but the AsiServer (and Cli too) do not allow me to select a face from my step file and calculate the area with the "check-area" command. Any idea how to get an area of a given face in the headless server?
Thanks