Inspection and Healing
This block contains description of the shape interrogation and feature recognition facilities available in Analysis Situs. Feature recognition is a backbone for such use cases as:
- Simplification of design models.
- Manufacturing planning.
- Automatic pricing for on-demand manufacturing.
Part-level simplification is also known as defeaturing. It becomes necessary in different engineering applications, such as IP protection or preparation for CAE simulations. Analysis Situs comes with a CAD simplification framework to serve these needs.
Reverse engineering eliminates the need to design from a blank sheet. The process takes an existing part, captures its surface measurements, and uses this information as a reference to create the new design. Reverse engineering techniques can contribute to solving the following tasks:
- Create CAD models for legacy parts where no digital models are available.
- Design organic shapes whose features are very difficult to reproduce without a polygonal underlayer.
- Change (optimize) design of existing product.
- Replicate existing products.
- Repair worn-out or broken parts.
- Understand better the properties of the existing parts (e.g. it symmetry, defects, etc.).
- Convert models to editable format after topologic optimization.
- Convert triangular and quadrilateral surface meshes to higher-order models for isogeometric analysis.